Due to Covid-19, we offer Telehealth (Web & Phone) for individual and group treatment.
Individual Treatment for Selective Mutism
Individualized Intensive S-CAT® Program: SMart Center Gold-Standard
This evidence-based treatment program is our most popular and most successful approach to the treatment of Selective Mutism. This comprehensive, Social Communication Evaluation and treatment program is designed for children, teens, and adults who have social communication challenges such as Selective Mutism, social anxiety, extreme shyness, social communication (pragmatic) disorder, and other related challenges. More than 6,000 individuals worldwide have been successfully treated with the Individualized Intensive S-CAT® Program. Call the SMart Center today for more information or to schedule an appointment: (215) 887-5748. You can also send us an email at SMartCenter@SelectiveMutismCenter.org.
How Does It Work?
- The Individualized Intensive Treatment Program is available in a one-day or multi-day format and uses Dr. Elisa Shipon-Blum’s evidence-based methodology of Social Communication Anxiety Treatment® (S-CAT®) to provide a holistic, all-encompassing evaluation of the individual’s social communication challenges.
- S-CAT® treatment is based on our assessment and understanding of the contributing factors and/or co-occurring challenges into the development and maintenance of Selective Mutism, Social Anxiety, and related challenges.
- Based on this evaluation, the clinician will recommend tailored strategies, tactics, and school-based accommodations. Treatment begins on the same day as the evaluation. Following the initial session, families receive a detailed, step-by-step written treatment plan with proven techniques to implement at home, the real-world, and within the school setting.
- Follow-up consultations are recommended approximately every 3-4 weeks and can be conducted in-person, over the phone, or via web conference. Continued care also can include direct school staff training and/or consultations.
Read about children/teens who overcame Selective Mutism with this program, read about the effectiveness of S-CAT® and our research, and meet our staff. Please contact our center by calling (215) 887-5748 or email SMartCenter@SelectiveMutismCenter.org to receive more details and to get started!
Individualized Therapy Track S-CAT® Program
For those seeking treatment for Selective Mutism without entering our Gold-Standard Intensive Program, we offer a more incremental approach, Therapy Track. This program involves one of our trained clinicians evaluating and treating you or your loved one for a range of social communication-related issues. Therapy Track sessions implement S-CAT® treatment principles but they do not include the full S-CAT® program components such as the length of time spent at the SMart Center and the detailed, step-by-step written treatment plan.
Please contact our center by calling (215) 887-5748 or email SMartCenter@SelectiveMutismCenter.org to receive more details and to get started!
Insurance Policy & Financial Assistance
For information on our insurance policy, please email: SMartCenter@SelectiveMutismCenter.org.
The SMart Center’s Mr. B Scholarship Program awards financial assistance to qualifying families. Click here to learn more about how it works.
Individual Treatment for General Mental Health
*For children, adolescents, and adults of all ages, we provide evidenced-based therapy for individuals and host weekly group therapy for coping with anxiety, depression, behavioral issues, social skills development, art therapy, psychoeducation, parent support groups to assist their knowledge and understanding of their child’s diagnosis/treatment, family therapy sessions to improve communication and family dynamics, and speech and language therapy.
Diagnoses we treat:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Specific Phobias
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Adjustment Disorder
- Oppositional-Defiant & Conduct Disorders
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder