Let’s Chat! Book an exploratory call.
This complimentary 15 minute call will:
- Allow for questions – ask our informed staff any questions you have regarding our various treatment, testing, and consultation options
- Provide clarity – a personalized discussion will help put you in position to understand your options fully
- Provide next steps – By the end of the call, you will have a sense of how we can work together
When you’re ready, schedule an evaluation!
The Selective Mutism Evaluation (SME) is the first step to working with the SMart Center.
Since Selective Mutism is a social communication anxiety disorder and Social Communication Anxiety Treatment® (S-CAT) focuses on understanding the ‘whole’ person, the Selective Mutism Evaluation© (SME) allows our clinicians to gain a deeper understanding of an individual’s unique presentation and needs. This will then pave the way for more effective treatment and school accommodations/interventions or workplace recommendations.
This appointment will allow our team to get a deeper understanding of the patient’s history, current presentation, and identify causes & contributing factors to SM. The SME is a pre-requisite to individual treatment, group treatment (i.e. CommuniCamp), and Assessment services.
Keep in Mind:
- If you are ready to begin Individual Treatment or CommuniCamp™, please schedule along with your SME to get the ball rolling!
- If you live in a state or country where we are not licensed to perform telehealth, there are select virtual services we can offer. To learn more, please check out our Telehealth and Virtual Services.
Selective Mutism Evaluation Details:
- Participants: Clinician, Patient, and Parent(s) (for children/teens)
- Session Length: 60-90 minutes
- Location: Virtual or in-person
- Evaluation of pre-appointment forms
- Examination of history and current functioning
- Inventory of social communication anxiety
- Extensive Selective Mutism screening (diagnosis, if applicable)
- Review of recommended treatment options
- A comprehensive report
- An SME focuses on:
- Selective Mutism screening/diagnosis
- Assessing the individual’s baseline stages of social communication
- Screening for the “Why”s of Selective Mutism
- Looking into the factors surrounding the development and maintenance of SM
- Screening for co-existing challenges that could impact the individual’s presentation
- Determine the best strategies for progression of communication during the SME
- This will be further explored and worked on during individual or group treatment sessions