Studies and research surrounding Selective Mutism are scarce and textbook descriptions are often nonexistent or limited. In many situations, the information is inaccurate and misleading. As a result, few people truly understand Selective Mutism.
A personal experience inspired Dr. Elisa Shipon-Blum to delve into the enigma that was Selective Mutism and has since dedicated the past 20 years of her life to studying, researching, and treating children who suffer in silence. Below is a collection of research studies, literature, and other resources to spread awareness and promote understanding and support of children and teens with Selective Mutism.
Our Treatment and Research
- Dr. Shipon-Blum’s and The SMart Center’s Treatment Approach to Selective Mutism: S-CAT®
- Research on our S-CAT® Program
- S-CAT® for Children and Families with Selective Mutism: A Pilot Study
- S-CAT® for Children and Families with Selective Mutism: A Pilot Study Results Summary
- What is Selective Mutism? A Guide to Helping Parents, Educators and Treatment Professionals Understand Selective Mutism as a Social Communication Anxiety Disorder
- The Social Communication Bridge®
- Selective Mutism – Stages of Social Communication Comfort Scale©
- The Missing Link
- Diet and Selective Mutism
- Testing Expressive Language in Children with Selective Mutism
- Assessing Spoken Language Competence in Children with Selective Mutism
Selective Mutism Education Products
Animal Assisted Therapy
The SMart Center incorporates therapy animals in treatment to provide comfort and emotional support, relieve stress, increase mental alertness, and most importantly: to create a motivating atmosphere to expand communication and strengthen our patients’ determination to cross the bridge to social communication.