Studies and research surrounding Selective Mutism are scarce and textbook descriptions are often nonexistent or limited. In many situations, the information is inaccurate and misleading. As a result, few people truly understand Selective Mutism.
A personal experience inspired Dr. Elisa Shipon-Blum to delve into the enigma that was Selective Mutism and has since dedicated the past 20 years of her life to studying, researching, and treating children who suffer in silence. Below is a collection of research studies, literature, and other resources to spread awareness and promote understanding and support of children and teens with Selective Mutism.
What is Selective Mutism?
How We Treat Selective Mutism:
- Social Communication Anxiety Treatment® (S-CAT®): Evidence-based treatment approach developed by Dr. Elisa Shipon-Blum and implemented only at the SMart Center. S-CAT® is based on the concept that SM is a social communication anxiety disorder that is more than just not speaking. S-CAT® integrates components of behavioral-therapy, CBT, and an insight-oriented approach to increase social communication and promote social confidence.
- The Social Communication Bridge® (download right)
- Selective Mutism – Stages of Social Communication Comfort Scale®
- The Transitional Stage of Communication: The Missing Link in Treatment
Our Published Research:
- Research on our S-CAT® Program
- A Family History Study of Selective Mutism
- S-CAT® for Children and Families with Selective Mutism: A Pilot Study
- S-CAT® for Children and Families with Selective Mutism: A Pilot Study Results Summary
- Testing Expressive Language in Children with Selective Mutism
- Assessing Spoken Language Competence in Children with Selective Mutism
- Parents’ Perspective: Children with Selective Mutism and Sensory Processing
- Beneath the Silence: Exploring the Communicative Profiles of Children with Selective Mutism
- BASC-3 Parent Rating Scales: Portrayals of Children with Selective Mutism
- How to Help the Child/Teen with Selective Mutism in the Real-World Setting
- The SMart Mart: Books and e-books
- The SMart Mart: Webinar recordings
- Printable Sign for Trick-or-Treating
- About My Child – Educational handout for relatives and friends (download left)
Animal Assisted Therapy
The SMart Center incorporates therapy animals in treatment to provide comfort and emotional support, relieve stress, increase mental alertness, and most importantly: to create a motivating atmosphere to expand communication and strengthen our patients’ determination to cross the bridge to social communication.
- Pet Partners
- Benefits of the Human-Animal Bond
- American Kennel Club
- Therapy Dogs International
- Article: How Dogs Can Help with Mental Health—Mind Boosting Benefits of Dog Ownership