June 2020 CommuniCamp™ Intensive Group Treatment and Parent Training Program
June 19 @ 12:00 pm - June 22 @ 5:00 pm
Virtual CommuniCamp™ is our web-based INTEGRATIVE treatment and training group for Selective Mutism, Social Anxiety, and extreme shyness. Virtual CommuniCamp™ allows families to participate from the comfort of their own homes, which is the perfect environment to facilitate progression into social communication since home is where our children are often most comfortable and communicative. Virtual CommuniCamp™ embodies the two-fold mission of our traditional CommuniCamp™ meaning this event:
- integrates group experiences to help children gain comfort and communication with other peers and adults through activities often mirrored within the virtual classroom, via virtual playdates, and the “new world” of social distancing we are beginning, and Virtual CommuniCamp™
- involves parent training and implementation during camp, as parents are asked to participate within the ‘virtual classroom’ experience. Virtual CommuniCamp™ fosters parent observation, training, and facilitation (featuring Dr. Elisa Shipon-Blum and Jennifer Brittingham, M.A.) while SMart Center clinicians and counselors lead and role model communication progress using Dr. E’s evidence-based S-CAT® strategies and interventions.
- Friday, June 19th, 2020
- 11:00 AM ET – 1:00 PM ET – Parent Training
- 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM ET – Camper Orientation, Meet & Greet
- Saturday, June 20th, 2020 (11:00 AM – 5:00 PM ET) – Virtual CommuniCamp™ Day 1
- Sunday, June 21th, 2020 (11:00 AM – 5:00 PM ET) – Virtual CommuniCamp™ Day 2
- Monday, June 22nd, 2020 (11:00 AM – 5:00 PM ET) – Virtual CommuniCamp™ Day 3
*The structured daily agenda involves both parent-only training sessions as well as child group sessions. Optional (but encouraged) independent camper activities as well as movement breaks before and after lunch break will be offered. Details of the agenda (daily activities, times, and breaks), Welcome Guide to prepare for Virtual CommuniCamp™, and additional supplemental resources are provided upon registration confirmation. Keep scrolling for more details!
WHO CAN APPLY? Children (new and existing SMart Center patients) ages 4-12-years-old with Selective Mutism, Social Anxiety, and/or Extreme Shyness (and their families!). Your loved one does not need an official diagnosis to participate.
WHERE IS IT? In the comfort of your own home! June 2020 CommuniCamp™ is VIRTUAL! Learn more here!
HOW TO REGISTER? WHAT’S THE PROCESS & FEES? The process for families to join CommuniCamp™ is simple as 1-2-3!
- APPLY. Click here to complete the application so that Dr. Elisa Shipon-Blum can perform a detailed review and assessment of the application to determine if applicant is eligible for group treatment prior to being involved in our Individualized Intensive Treatment Program. This is one of many unique aspects of CommuniCamp™. This is how we are able to accept new patients directly into group treatment! Our globally successful, evidence-based treatment approach, Social Communication Anxiety Treatment® (SCAT®), is grounded in the understanding that Selective Mutism is more than just not speaking in social settings. Your loved one with Selective Mutism and/or Social Anxiety developed SM and remains “stuck” from one or more contributing factors. The application also allows to start to uncover the child’s/teen’s unique needs so that we can utilize the appropriate S-CAT® strategies with respect to his/her baseline. There is a $75 non-refundable application assessment fee. After a clinical assessment of your application, you will be notified of your status within 24-48 hours. Since established SMart Center patients have already completed the initial interviews and assessments, they are eligible to submit the application for free by using the coupon code: SMartPatient
- MEET. After your application is thoroughly reviewed, you will be eligible for one of three virtual meeting options (dependent on clinical assessment of application) with one of our clinicians to deepen our understanding of your child’s unique social communication needs so that we can determine ideal group placement and identify and plan for the proper treatment strategies to utilize during the CommuniCamp™ weekend. There is a minimum fee of $300* for this step; however, based on clinical assessment of application, Dr. Shipon-Blum might recommend individualized treatment prior to attending the program. More detailed information and pricing will be sent upon application acceptance. After your meeting is completed and your CommuniCamp™ acceptance is confirmed, we will create your child’s unique experience. Before, during, and after camp, purposeful, specific strategies are used to help ease each child’s specific anxieties, which will foster social comfort in a school-like setting and hence, communication. *This step is waived for SMart Center families who’ve been seen within 6 months to 1 year. Upon acceptance of application, the meeting may or may not be necessary pending clinician determination.
- ATTEND. Visit the event website to learn more: https://selectivemutismcenter.org/virtual-communicamp/ or send an email to CommuniCamp@SelectiveMutismCenter.org with questions.
For more information about who we are and what we do, click on the links below:
September 25 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every week that begins at 10:00 am on Monday and Friday, repeating until September 25, 2020
September 25 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm|Recurring Event (See all)
An event every week that begins at 2:00 pm on Friday, repeating indefinitely