Help us Rid the Silence of Selective Mutism!
How often do we hear…
“He’s just shy. He’ll grow out of it soon…” “I think your daughter has Selective Mutism but I’m not sure how to treat it…” “Johnny is refusing to speak and we can’t assess his learning.” “Erica is being completely defiant and won’t speak to us. We need to put her on medication for her behavior…”
In a world where evidence-based treatment and training programs are readily accessible to every individual affected by Selective Mutism, the misguided statements above would not be delivered to families in need of help by doctors, the education system, and other treatment professionals.
Donors have the option to choose how their funds will be used:
- Fund a child or teen’s treatment (by contributing to the “Mr. B Scholarship Program” which provides financial assistance for families to be able to attend S-CAT® treatment programs like CommuniCamp™)
- Fund training for teachers and professionals
- Support research to understand and treat SM
Contributions made to SMRI will stimulate and sponsor much needed scientific and clinical research in Selective Mutism and to provide financial support to advance training, education, and research into the understanding, early diagnosis, and treatment of Selective Mutism.
Specifically, funding will be used:
- for pre-doctoral, post-doctoral, and institution-based researchers to study various aspects of SM that are currently misunderstood due to lack of published data.
- to hire research staff, including statisticians, to continue gathering data, statistically analyze all data, and write research papers for publication.
- to seek out relevant research being conducted by other institutions and will support this work through collaboration and recruitment of participants.
- to give families access to S-CAT® treatment programs such as CommuniCamp™.